Sunday, March 11, 2012

Two Week Review of Using a Teaching Facebook Page

I think it was only two days into this MOOC before I decided to take the plunge and start a Facebook page for my students. For those of you who still refuse to use it--for ideological, financial, temporal, or ludological reasons--a Facebook Page is different from a Facebook Profile. My profile is still kept private this way and the profiles of my students are kept private from me as well. The page is like an organization or club--students can "Like" the page without "Friending" me, so student privacy is kept intact while at the same time engaging students in an online environment that they seem more comfortable with than Laulima with an automatic notification capability.

For many of my students, the idea of going on Laulima everyday is very alien, but the idea of daily Facebooking seems like nothing. At first, I was a bit stuck for what to post, but then I remembered a bunch of writing links and grammar webcomics from The Oatmeal. If anyone else in the MOOC is considering the use of Facebook Pages, here is a link to mine. I'd also love some feedback from others here who felt the same impulse and also started a Facebook Page for teaching.

Muchas gracias!

No comments:

Post a Comment